Saturday, 26 January 2013

70. Cricket


Getting very excited about the trekking I’m planning for May.  It looks as though I’ll be able to do the two – one to the source of the Ganges, which will take in the opening ceremony at the little temple there.  Its where all the pilgrims go, so it will be great to be there in their company.  The 2nd trek is to see a mountain called Nanda Devi.  Hard though it will be to drag myself away from here, I am SO looking forward to exploring this new bit of the Himalayas.

Last night I had an encounter with drug abuse – somebody turned up to our volunteers’ meal very much under the influence.  Why do people do it?  Sometimes I think I can understand the attraction, and obviously not everybody loses control of it, and maybe I'm just a coward.  But if they could only see themselves………..absolute loss of dignity, embarrassing to watch, unable to achieve the interaction and acceptance they so crave, loss of control…………..and inevitable sickness and then remorse.  He has lost his way and has no-one to turn to, no-one to guide him. 

McLeod is absolutely chokka with cars, motor bikes and noisy Indians.  They are standing, jammed together, crowded into the square, happy, hooting their horns, shouting and cheering in the dark.  Cricket!  A big international match here in little ol’ Dharmsala and they have won – beaten us Brits hollow!

No comments:

Post a Comment