Monday, 9 July 2012

23. Day Trip

Wednesday (yes I know its Monday but I've been suffering from Internet Deprivation so its all a bit behind!)

Its been thundering again - and how!  I really thought next door had caught it!

I love my room over looking the square - have you googled Telc yet???? - watching the world wake up.  Its another world here, and so quiet, just the odd, occasional car and a few people.  Lots of cyclists - some serious looking cycling groups, individuals, locals, purposefully cycling about the place.  It doesnt tempt me, but its VERY geared up for cycling here.

My back is  not good.  My fault entirely.  So feeling a bit fragile.

Today - Slavonice - a local train ride away.  I love travelling on local transport - you get to rub shoulders with ordinary, local people going about their business.  More landscape - we trundled through miles of beautiful deciduous woods, the landscape still open and rolling, but smaller scale somehow.  Still no field boundaries, just woods and crops.  Evidence of cropping grass to make silage - well, given that when they aren't eating meat they're devouring cheese, they must have livestock somewhere - but where???

There are no fences or barriers that I can see alongside road or rail.  A level crossing is just that - not a gate or a barrier in sight.  The train often stops just outside villages, with a little dirt track to connect.  The lack of barriers and boundaries makes it all feel very laid back and almost old fashioned somehow.  Nice.  The train sneaks through the trees - no wide embankments and safety zones, and in civilisation, people casually cross the tracks in front of the train, platforms being a convenience for getting on the train and not a barrier to keep people off the lines.  Presumably common sense wins the day over health and safety.

I got off the train with a group of women, all at least my age, all trundling their suitcases behind them the 1/2 mile or so anong the dirt track into town and then up the cobbled streets, not a tour leader in sight.  Hard work!

At every turn in Czech there is a tower with an invitation to climb it and see the view and so far I haven't been tempted, finding that walking up a hill usually does the trick.  However today in Slavonice I succumbed and it was good to get a view of the town below me and the surrounding landscape.  I just about coped with the vertigo!  On coming down I ventured into some rather amazing underground passages - tiny, extremely claustrophibic and luckily well lit!  Gothic cellars under a renaissance town.

A lovely laid back day.

Catch up tomorrow - I've done some truly fab things.  And here's a sneak preview.....................what's worse than being in a tower block in a thunderstorm??  Being in a tower block in a thunderstorm with...............................................

No comments:

Post a Comment