Well, I reckon I've done Prague, time to get out of here. I've walked miles and miles again today! I've certainly done the religious bit, seeing more churches in the last couple of days than in the last few years! they are simply amazing - ornate, beautiful, detailed, and, to be brutally honest somewhat over the top. Give me a simple chapel anytime. But all churches are wonderful, whether huge and ornate or small and simple, whether cathedral or chapel or indeed to use the word church in its widest sense: mosque or monastry or shrine, because they are made with love and faith and reflect the good things in mankind and society.
Its so jolly hot. There was a massive thunderstorm last night which cleared the air a bit. Funnily enough there was one the morning I left home too. I've made the great achievement of sussing out the tram system. I went to put it into practice today and found my route barred by a procession of 10,000 people celebrating sport in great style, with brass bands, singing, chanting, waving and shouting, all different groups in their different uniforms. No hope of a tram for at least an hour with that lot blocking the road but it was great to see, felt like a bit of the real Czech republic which of course as a tourist is hard to come by.
As well as millions of the usual sort of tourists (and associated millions of tacky souvenir shops, bars, cafes, ice cream stands....................horse drawn tours of the city, tourleaders leading their groups determindly through the throngs...............clicking cameras......................), there seem to be lots of stag-do type groups (bars advertising "table dancing"..................groups of noisy men drinking beer...........) at lunch today there was a group of 6 brits, I should think late 30's ish, whose sole topic of (noisy) conversation was anectodes about, and strategies for, getting away with staying out late, clubbing, drinking and (I kid you not) "I haven't done anything this weekend that would jeopardise my marriage, really, I mean it". Why get married????
There was a couple on a tram - she asked her partner where they were and he answered snootily "Prague" - she politely asked me if I knew where they should get off, he rudely told her he knew and spent the whole journey fiddling with his mobile to get the info about where to get off. He didnt look through the window once at beautiful Prague, which they had presumably come to see............ He talked down to her, and her whole manner was apologetic - and I mean apologetic of herself. Why do we women do it? I suggested she let him get off where he wanted and she stay on and do her own thing.
Tomorrow I'm off to Telc (pronounced "Telch", or sort of, anyway).
No comments:
Post a Comment