Just had a visit from my neice. She has that most wonderful quality of bringing out the best in people. I feel like a better person when she is around, she even brings out a best side in my mother that I never knew existed! It was lovely to spend time with her. She's a stone carver and came here for a festival, and it was great to see her work, and enjoy the festival atmosphere. It also inspired me to carry on with my woodcarving which I so enjoyed and which has somehow got lost in the muddle of my life.
This last year or 2 has included a lot more family time than usual for me, reminding me that however much you just get on with your life, family is there, family is part of who you are, family is your DNA.
My neice and I mused on what makes us who we are, and influences the decisions we make - is it our genes, the influences of our upbringing, or nothing to do with any of that? When you look at the decisions we make, the things we do, its easy to attribute motives both conscious and unconscious - are we rebelling, or conforming, or subconciously trying to please, or fulfill the expectations of our parents - even when that is the last thing we think we would choose? Or looking for stuff that was missing in our youth? Or none of that? And of course, as with most things, its probably just a glorious muddle of everything!
It was good to be able to tell her that I have - sort of - made my peace with my brother, her father. It feels good and I'm amazed and proud of myself for being able to, at last, let so much go and come out the other side.
This last year or 2 has included a lot more family time than usual for me, reminding me that however much you just get on with your life, family is there, family is part of who you are, family is your DNA.
My neice and I mused on what makes us who we are, and influences the decisions we make - is it our genes, the influences of our upbringing, or nothing to do with any of that? When you look at the decisions we make, the things we do, its easy to attribute motives both conscious and unconscious - are we rebelling, or conforming, or subconciously trying to please, or fulfill the expectations of our parents - even when that is the last thing we think we would choose? Or looking for stuff that was missing in our youth? Or none of that? And of course, as with most things, its probably just a glorious muddle of everything!
It was good to be able to tell her that I have - sort of - made my peace with my brother, her father. It feels good and I'm amazed and proud of myself for being able to, at last, let so much go and come out the other side.
No comments:
Post a Comment