Tonight I have listened to Dvorak in a stunningly beautiful baroque church played on an organ that the master himself (ie Dvorak) played, in his time, as did Mozart. With a bugle, and a soprano voice filling the church, the acoustics pinging it round, and Handel too, with a trumpet, the trumpet and the voice echoing each other and mingling. It was sublime. The human voice never ceases to amaze me, and there is nothing in the world like live music. It was a bit of a 'top of the pops' of suitable classical music, but divine none the less. I must see if there's any proper Dvorak concerts I can go to while I am here.
Prague is beautiful, not quite what I expected, quiet, incredibly touristy, interesting, and easy. My hotel is great - so often when I treat myself to a hotel rather than whatever is cheapest, its a disappointment - you get the best and the worst in the cheap range, and the mid range is often a huge let down. But not here in Prague - I'm very happy, its brilliantly located, clean, comfortable, and has character. And with a computer for me to write my blog on!
Apart from being transported by music, I was transported here efficently and happily by various trains, with easy companionship from various people on the way - a spaniard en route to a job interview for resident pianist at a theatre doing mainly opera. He was to sing at his interview, to show he could carry the rehearsals, and was nervous about that. Well I can sympathise with that one! And a person working in human rights - fascinating woman; and a man travelling to Prague to spend time with his wife who is working here. Living in Amsterdam now, originally from Calcutta. I love these travelling conversations!
I've followed up on both the travel tips people have given me for this trip, both with great success - a champagne lunch on St Pancras station to celebrate leaving work, setting off, being 60...............................and a beer on the square in Cologne to experience something of the essential Germany in my hour or so between trains.
Sorry this is a bit long. Short and sweet next time. You are NOT going to get a travelogue, if you want to know all the details of what its like you'll have to come and see for yourself!!
No comments:
Post a Comment