Oh dear. This is a
far cry from my ecstatic post some months ago when I booked my tickets
here. I’ve booked my overnight bus out
of here to Rishikesh for 28 April and I do not want to go. I love my life here and would happily stay
forever. But it would be silly not to
spend the last 3 weeks in the Himalayas – that was the reason for coming in the
first place, although that all seems like another life.
I am so excited about the developments at Contact and as the
new stories come online its wonderful to feel I have made a contribution and
not just “babysat” the magazine before handing over to the next volunteer. Its great getting the stories in – some expertly
written and emailed, some downloaded onto my memory stick because they have no email,
some beautifully handwritten and some literally scribbled onto any bit of paper
available, in one case an opened out brown paper bag. But what stories! A Japanese person concerned about the way his
country is going, an ex-political prisoner making extraordinarily forgiving comments
about his jailors, a boy bewailing the Chinese massacre of the trees in his
homeland, a child vomiting in fear while hiding from Chinese soldiers at the
Nepalese border…………….don’t worry you’ll get the link when they go live, very
soon.
And what a week I have had!
I went back to the village up in the mountains where Claire and I took
pictures of the family, this time taking them prints of the wonderful dressing
up session and it was lovely to see them again.
Because my companions were men this time, 2 men appeared to chaperone
us, but stayed well out of the way (as did my companions). It was girl time, most definitely and I was
warmly invited to come back the next day to a birthday party, although sadly was not free.
And the next day my
visit to the tent city – I really cannot begin to describe it in any way
that would make sense, but that family
was truly lovely, with that inner contentment, extraordinary though it may
sound, that makes people comfortable to be with, and making it a pleasure to
share time with them. I was not treated
like a rich white memsahib coming to inspect the poor, I was treated like a
fellow human being, a fellow woman, given tea and food and affection and warmly
invited to return. The mother of the boy
my acquaintance is sponsoring asked me to thank his sponsor. There was such a quiet dignity about this
beautiful woman who scours garbage dumps for things to sell for a living. The "village" where they live is a happy place with the sounds of children playing and people busy getting on with their lives. It was a happy time and all smiles while we were there, but the return journey
found me sitting at the side of the road, bawling my eyes out and not even sure
where I was. Thank goodness for the
lovely Katty who came with me and shared it all, it makes it easier to cope
with even if I will never make sense of it.
No comments:
Post a Comment