When I was 16 my parents walked in on me one night when some friends were round. We were doing the usual things in the dark to loud music and my mother declared that I would "grow out of it". Thank goodness I never did. We had a great party here the other night - but my goodness, don't people smoke these days! All those lovely young things puffing away. My clothes reek of smoke, reminiscent of the days when people smoked in pubs and you'd wake up the next morning and need to wash everything to get rid of it. You can get a packet of cigarettes for little over £1.
I had to wake the night porter to let me back in to my hotel. Its quite fun feeling like a teenager sneaking back in after lights out!
Its all inspired me to have my own party next week to celebrate the end of my amazing year of being 60.
Its a small town here and you pretty soon find out that everybody knows everybody. So its no surprise that the Tibetan boy sitting next to me at the party has grown up with people I know. He told me his story, leaving me choked up and unable to speak. He's 21, almost exactly the same age as my son. Some of his friends arrived wearing traditional Tibetan clothes - its fantastic to see the youngsters wearing their Tibetan-ness with such pride. Western kids out on a Saturday night razzle wouldn't be seen dead wearing the same clothes as their grandfathers. Mind you western clothes don't do for a man what Tibetan clothes do................
No comments:
Post a Comment