Monday, 25 March 2013

100. Invasion of the Great Whites


It’s a takeover!  The place is full of Great White Explorers with the emphasis on the Great.  Yesterday I met one while walking up one of the main streets. Its a steep uphill, with shops, tea stalls, clutter, stuff spilling out onto the street, people sitting, dogs, cows, people selling veg and monkeys stealing veg – the road is mostly just about wide enough for a car and there is a constant stream of people walking up and down, cars, motorbikes – you get the drift.  Pavements are unheard of.  There I was quietly walking up, keeping in to the side and came face to face with a very large man bearing down towards me.  Because of the traffic there wasn’t space to pass so I waited, tucked into the nearest shop front.  If he had taken the tiniest step to one side he would have easily passed me (I really don’t take up much space). But no. He loomed over me, glared down at me and said loudly “we always pass on the left here”.  Which meant I had to step right across him, into the road so he could walk where he wanted.  Today there he was again taking up an inordinate amount of space on a corner so I walked round him, without looking up at him, saying, clearly, “bully". 

I am pleased to report he was not British.

I have stopped going into cafes, eating in the Indian Dhabas where you get excellent food for around 50p a go, so have incidentally slashed my food budget.  Unfortunately some of this influx of people also find their way to these places.  Today I shared a table with an earnest self-developer reading a tome on Buddhist philosophy while I watched fascinated as a young Indian boy cooked me the most delicious deep fried chapatti stuffed with cheese and tomato.  He had no work surface, one gas ring and a “kitchen” about the size of, say, a small wardrobe.  I have seen him feed 10 of us, quickly, efficiently and cheerfully.

(and yes, I know I’m a tourist too)

No comments:

Post a Comment