Tuesday, 19 February 2013

84.Talking the talk


This morning (Monday) found me painstakingly working out how to tell my teacher what I had been up to over the week’s holiday.  So, with some trepidation I arrived for my lesson armed with a page of very scruffy notes and found, to my delight and amazement, that we could talk about all sorts of things!  Yes, it took lots of prompting and help, and I’m not sure anybody else would recognise it as talking Tibetan, but it’s a good step forward.

There have been little nudges from home – a request to do a small voluntary job, an email from a friend who is having a very difficult time, an invitation to a party..............they don’t make me feel homesick but it’s a little pull.  I want to be there for the friend, I want to be at the party.  But then, there are things that root me here too: learning the language; the people in my life; getting fired up with plans for the magazine, Contact; sharing a candle lit vigil with hundreds of people mourning their people and their country.  And the mountains, always.  And the laughter.  We laugh!  Its good!


No comments:

Post a Comment