Today is 100 years since the 13th
Dalai Lama returned to Tibet after being in exile and its being celebrated around
the world. Here in McLeod Ganj we had a
stunning photographic exhibition and a parade around town led by horses
(although my Tibetan friends grumbled that they weren’t using Tibetan saddles:
I’m not the only pedant in the world, thank goodness) and we were all given a
beautiful replica of the 13th Dalai Lama’s Tibetan Proclamation of
Independence; and tonight is a flag raising ceremony and a gig – music –
hooray!
This morning on the Kora they
were raising hundreds of new prayer flags at a ceremony in the sun. Colourful, cheerful, convivial, peaceful with
chanting, bells, drums and the long trumpet
things that sound so magnificent. We
were given hot butter tea and little plates of sweet rice with nuts and
raisins.
And I’m sorry but I need to tell it
as it is, you don’t get a sanitised version.
There was another self-immolation this morning, in Kathmandu, presumably because if you self-immolate in
Tibet the Chinese arrest your friends and family, and have been known to dish
out the death sentence for “inciting” suicide. And we've just heard that the 100th one in Tibet happened a few days ago - a 37 year old monk called Lobsang Namgyal.
Hi Jenny-just been catching up on some of your Blogs-there are many..It all sounds fascinating......and reflecting on my life...
ReplyDeleteNot that familiar with Bloggs-if I comment on a past Blog do you get notified? or will it get lost 'til some future date?
I will e-mail you for now..sorry I've not been in touch.Alex xxx PS glad the bowels are better!
PPS-listening to the Tues Folk Prog on radio 2 some beautiful songs also sad 2 of Fishermens friends were killed last wkend setting up a gig.