Sunday, 12 August 2012

32. R&R

Have walked a total of 75 miles, nearly to Monmouth.  Rucksack manageable; equipment good; supplies good; back, knees and legs good; stamina good; route finding good; feet in pieces; morale rock bottom.

So the good news is that I can do it!  Walk 15 miles + a day, climbing 2,000+ feet, carrying everything I need and finish the day ready for more.  And feel good.  Which has to be a success.  The bad news is that my feet are in pieces and threatening to go septic, so I've come home for rest and recuperation.  Its SUCH a stupid thing, when everything else is working so well to be laid low by 2 small raw patches on my heels - and because I cant think of putting on my boots it would be madness to walk around in flip flops, especially if it rains..

I'm gutted.  The boots were, I thought, good, and walked in.  Yes I am prone to blisters but was ready for that and had every sort of plaster and blister pod known to man.  Or woman.  I have spent much of my recent time in civilisation staring at the foot care sections of chemists along the way.  And have sorted some of the Foot Issues that were not blisters.  But its not getting better - a new pain was developing, in addition to the blisters.

Oh I've had some glorious days - absolutely fabulous, walking on top of the world, miles and miles of open space and sky and hills.  In touch with the elements, camping, self contained, enjoying being out in the open.  There is nothing like it, its just wonderful.  Walking miles and miles and looking back, knowing I've walked from beyond the horizon.  Chatting to people on the way.  Or enjoying the solitude.  Feeling so very much at home in the wide open spaces, walking through heather and peat bog................

I dont want to be at home, I'm in travelling mode.  But that does mean I can still take each day as it comes and go to bed not knowing what I will do tomorrow or where I will go - even here at home.  So tomorrow, or the next day, I'll wake up and decide to take the bike and carry on the journey on that instead.  Or hire a car and go visiting.  Or take the train to Siberia.  Or go and camp in Pembroke and do walking from there.  Or carry on round Wales but use buses and then stop for a bit.

It might be worth trying my old boots again, once my heels are better.

One lovely thing - sitting at home this afternoon drinking a consolation beer provided by my lovely lodger, was the appearance of my son and some of his friends, partying locally for the weekend - not sure who was more surprised, them or me! 

No comments:

Post a Comment